Peter began his legal career as an Assistant District Attorney with the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office. Since then, he has litigated a wide variety of cases, on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants, in state and federal courts, at trial and on appeal. He has tried approximately 100 trials, most before juries. His cases have concerned large mass tort cases, insurance claims and coverage matters, high-end personal injury cases, admiralty and maritime tort and commercial matters, environmental damage claims, employment discrimination cases, commercial and securities disputes, corporate dissolutions, fraud cases, and numerous trust and estate matters.
Peter has been a long-standing Adjunct Professor of Trial Advocacy at Tulane Law School since 1995. He is rated by his peers through Martindale-Hubbell as AV Preeminent, and has been named in New York Super Lawyers® and Louisiana Super Lawyers® since 2013. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the New Orleans Metropolitan Crime Commission and participates as a member of the Orleans Public Defenders Conflict Panel representing indigent clients against felony criminal charges.
Peter’s spouse Mary Kelly Freiberg is a Spanish Professor at Tulane University, and they are the proud parents of two grown children.
- Louisiana, State Courts of Louisiana
- New York, State Courts of New York
- Connecticut, State Courts of Connecticut
- New Jersey, State Courts of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit
- Tulane Law School, New Orleans, LA: J.D. (cum laude)
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA: B.A.
- Adjunct Professor of Trial Advocacy, Tulane Law School, 1995-2005, 2019 – present
- Member of the Board of Directors of the New Orleans Metropolitan Crime Commission 2020 – present
- Member of Orleans Parish Indigent Defenders Conflict Panel
- Office of the New York County District Attorney, New York, NY, 1989-1994
- Host family: A Better Chance Educational Organization
- Westchester County Bar Association
- Louisiana Bar Association